hbutz.com - gallery mega overhaul

Play Nice

Moderator: photomaster

photomaster
Site Admin

hbutz.com - gallery mega overhaul

Post by photomaster »

The photo gallery for www.hbutz.com was in need of a major overhaul. I admit I am a dinosaur, or as /b/ might put it, I'm an oldfag. My website was created back in glory days of dial-up internet using notepad, 2 fingers, and a reference manual on HTML. Photography updates used to take me an entire weekend. Then, I would edit my rss.xml file by hand to reflect the changes for those following my feed. This... did not exactly encourage me to update my photographs very often.

Five years have passed and I have not done any major updates until today. I was going to update the core site to HTML5 or a schnazzy css template. After futzing with it for a few hours I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. However, I have updated the photo gallery on ALL my websites to a php script. Now I can update photographs in real time, add comments, delete photos I don't like. I have left comments and ratings open for everyone although some photography comments are moderated to cut down on spamming.

It took me 4 hours to update the HTML by hand to point to the new photo gallery. Then it took just 5 minutes to upload all my photographs from Niagara Falls with the lovely SATIVA posing for me in the hotel room. Those photographs haven't seen the light of day in over nine months. In the future, updates will be fast and furious. No more waiting for me to find a weekend to make updates. I can now update in seconds.