The Photography of h.butz

Welcome my fringe
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:22 am 
Site Admin

The title of the book comes from a quote by Christian Grey, "I'm fifty shades of fucked up." Ain't that the truth. It's a fantasy novel which glorifies an abusive relationship. But, don't worry - it's just a fantasy. It took me forever to get through this monstrously awful book, finally resorting to finishing the rest on an audio narration at 2x normal speed.

Some of my pet peeves - just no comprehension about how the real world works. There are no free massages in the First Class Lounge, speaking from experience of someone who has flown around the world a few times. With a couple of exceptions, rare scattered massage offerings on select airlines, far from the "norm." First Class lounges are typically some comfy chairs, WiFi, maybe some finger food and, if you're very lucky some free booze. The better ones have showers and nice restrooms. Unless you are bouncing from country to country, the lounge is nearly useless as you'll only be in there for an hour or two between connections.

A flight attendant woke her up to serve orange juice. That's just wrong on so many levels. I have never experienced being woken up for any reason other than landing, or theoretically crashing. If someone wakes you up during a flight it means the flight is about to come to an end within the next 15 to 20 minutes. In First Class, if you want orange juice you simply flag someone down and ask for it. If you are sleeping, you are automatically excluded from meal service unless you have given instructions to the contrary. If the flight attendant wakes you, your flight is about to end.

Business ethics. Christian Grey demands random drug testing from all of his employees. Yea, right. That might fly for construction workers and those in charge of public safety. But, ask businessmen to pee in a cup every month and you'll find yourself with a lot of employee turn-over. It's expensive. When asked if he ever had sex with any of his office staff, Christian Grey became indignant - How can you ask me that? I would never work with anyone I've had a personal relationship with - except for Ana, whom he was pressuring to come work for him. Again, yea right. It would have been respectable to say "Rules are meant to be broken" rather than having such conflicted convictions.

The CEO of a large corporation is more likely to blow off steam on the weekends as a submissive, not a dominant. After you're finished making decisions, barking out orders for the staff, and moving millions of dollars around, it's far more relaxing to let someone else take charge for a while. Slave contracts, forms, negotiations - not often done, counter-productive, and a real mood killer. In fact, if Ana had not expressed an interest in being a submissive, Christian would not have even found her to be attractive. He certainly wouldn't spend so much time and energy trying to corrupt a virgin (really?) and you know you're reading a woman's fantasy novel when he makes such a point over condoms and blood testing. For crying out loud, if you're worried STD's do the testing once, stay monogamous, and be done with it.

Punishment for rolling her eyes: a severe spanking. That's just abusive. Submissives enjoy being spanked. It would be more likely that a sub would instigate the situation, not be a victim. It is the sub who sets the limits and it's often the dom who is in service, depending on how you look at it. To inflict unwanted pain as punishment is out of character for a bdsm relationship and, again, just abusive. An eye roll merits no more than a timeout in any event.

Naturally he's a pilot as well. Of course he is - knows how to fly helicopters and gliders. If you're a CEO, it's doubtful you have time to keep your skills as a pilot up to date, assuming you had the time to learn in the first place. Large corporations often have issues with the CEO piloting a plane. Life insurance companies have issues with it as well, often driving up premiums for both the pilot as well as the corporation. Corporations may even have policies to prohibit the CEO flying with other directors on the same commercial flight, just in case.

The whole relationship was just so contrived. These two would never have met in the real world. A kinky CEO would be more likely to seek out someone his own age, with more in common, rather than be forced to deal with a bratty virgin. Even more likely he would be more inclined to simply hire a mistress on the weekend and keep his playtime brief before getting back to work. And, he certainly wouldn't have shown off his "play room" accidentally.

I can't believe they've made a second movie out of this series. It's difficult enough to swallow it in book form. Do yourselves a favor. Want to know more about bdsm? Don't believe anything you've read in Fifty Shades of Grey. Find yourself a copy of the popular book, Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns. That's about the closest you'll come without visiting your local dungeon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

I just hate people who say a book or a movie sucked without having read or viewed the movie. This is why I had to sit thru Fifty Shades Darker... because this series is just so damaging to the fetish community. Thanks to the Internet, kinkster's are coming out of the closet and we few privileged can watch BDSM in the comfort of our easy chairs. Although not completely understood, BDSM was gaining some ground as just one of many kinks - maybe not 'acceptance' but at least 'tolerance.'

Then this series of of Grey comes out. omg. See previous post why the first book sucked so badly. Mind you, this was never meant to be a true documentary of the life of a "dom" - I assume. I'll give the author some credit that this was just some arm chair drek she let past her cheeks in an effort to sell books. Well, congrats and I hope you're making a bunch of money for all misinformation you're dishing out.

Spoilers follow.

First of all, I would never spend money on this shit so I rented it on Netflix. The studio informed me, at the end of the movie, that most of the nudity and sex was removed from the rental disk which is the only reason I'm watching it! Damn it. Yea, save yourself 2 hours unless you want to sit through this crap for one nipple slip. Even worse is that the bonus material is missing from the rental disk as well. I would really like to understand WHY anyone would write this train wreck.

That aside, Christian is still flying his helicopter from the passenger seat. Then he goes missing after issuing a mayday... which is why large corporations often forbid their CEO's from flying private helicopters! The author wouldn't know either of these facts since she' completely removed from reality.... like the scene at the art gallery. Here's everything wrong with that scene.

She walks into the gallery to find nearly a dozen massive photographs of her face hanging on the wall, badly printed. All of them sell immediately. A waiter is serving everyone glasses of wine. Hang on a tick. Perhaps there might be an art gallery which has roaming waiters, but I have never been to one. Back in the real world, there's a folding table in the back of the gallery covered in a plastic sheet to protect it from spray of spilled wine as hundreds of "art" patrons rush the table to swallow as much free booze as they can. That's usually consumed within the first hour after the opening. No matter how many cases of wine you have on hand, it will be gone.

Next, the "art." A face of an unknown woman enlarged to 5 feet high is not art. If it were a movie star, perhaps you might get away with it. By conventional standards, the photography was below poster quality. None of them would have sold. Nobody would have the room for all those prints. There is no market for 5 foot tall faces of a strange woman. It's boring and pointless. There is no artistic vision. It's not even good photography.

The movie took an odd turn, departing from the world of BDSM and focusing on our two main characters fighting, sometimes fornicating. Christian had a nice spreader bar. It is true that, "Spreader bars are your friend." Finally he utters the truth in a bit of forced dialog, I'm not a "dom" I'm a "sadist." YES! Perhaps the author was just repeating what kinksters have been shouting at her all this time. If you hook up with a "virgin," show her your dungeon, tie her up, and beat her with a whip you're an asshole sadist poser who hates woman. A true "dom" would have no interest in a woman like that and certainly would not go around beating women. Dom's love their submissive women and would not go down that road.

Yet the damage is done. BDSM is not what it appears to an outsider. And, Fifty Shades Darker was so boring I watched the last 20 minutes on fast-forward. It was worth it just to hear him admit he's NOT a "dom." Please stay out of the world of kink. Maybe starting flying that fantasy helicopter of yours from the pilot's seat next time?